Monday, February 6, 2012

Why I Teach Evolution in Church

'This is why, if one wants to help end the war between science and religion, teaching science in church is such a good idea. As an experienced teacher, I do not speak in alienating jargon. As a fellow Christian, I share the students' basic worldview. As one who they know personally -- most of them know my extended family as well -- I do not come as a stranger with an agenda. And the classes are held in a familiar and comfortable setting.



Not everyone who attends my classes walks away convinced. Many will never embrace evolution. Only a few -- if that many -- will glimpse the cosmic perspective I try so hard to communicate. But if I can remain open to them while dropping my own rather strong need to always be right, they will listen. And if I can somehow do this while doing justice both to science and the Christian tradition, they might be a little skeptical the next time they hear someone insist that science and religion are naturally opposed.'



Read more: Why I Teach Evolution in Church

No comments:

Post a Comment